Thursday, June 28, 2012

Books: Utah



Seeing as how I sit in the same office from 9 am to 5 pm for 5 days of the week I figured I could describe it to my dear readers. Now I know that it has been some time since I last posted, and I have had several wonderful adventures since my last post so I will endeavor to play 'catch-up' in a later post. In the mean time, let's take a walk to work, shall we?
I take the stairs up to the 6th floor of the Harold B. Lee Library each morning around 9 in the a.m. I drop my lunch off in my locker, and then I meander through the maze of cubicles and bookshelves to my cubicle on the south side of the building. I sit in my comfy blue office chair and flip on the computer. It has two monitors since a lot of the work I do requires multiple programs to be open at one time. Now I look around. To my right and left are about a thousand government documents in French and English. They are reports, lists, and questionnaires given by the League of Nations ranging in date from 1927-1945ish. I touch history when I work on that project. Behind me is a bookshelf. Usually it holds a small collection of books that are rather problematic to work with. More importantly, it holds the LP's that I am responsible for cataloging. Farther to my right is a book truck stuffed with Spanish books covering various topics. There is also a small table and another book truck both piled high with books that I have finished working on and are now waiting to be reviewed by my boss. Hidden in this jumble of books and documents and LP's are a coat-rack, a chair for any guests I may have (usually my boss), and a phone that I don't use. Oh, and I have a microfilm reader, but we haven't dealt with that antiquated stuff in months.
My office is basically filled with a random mix of books and music and documents. And I love it. My job is so great. Sometimes a huge stack of new novels will come through. Sometimes a big box of books headed for the LDS Business College will land on my desk. My favorites are the genealogical books because I know that each time one of those reaches the shelf new names can be found by eager genealogists seeking to offer the blessings of the gospel to deceased ancestors. I reckon I have one of the greatest on-campus jobs there is.
Now I just need to cover the peachy gray color of my cubicle walls with a rainbow of pigment. My office needs colors and pictures and paintings. It's boring at the moment. No one could tell it was my space just by looking at it. It needs a touch of Jens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment